Project Quick Facts
- Project Title: Mariner Point Park DMP Site Rehabilitation
- Services Provided: grading & excavation, stormwater management, utilities
- Location: Mariner Point Park, Joppatowne, Maryland
- Timing: 3 Months
- Foreman: Don Rosenthal
As part of the project, Comer Construction needed to establish and maintain necessary sediment and erosion control practices. This included clearing woody vegetation from an existing embankment and carefully following prescribed elevations and side slopes on the plans.
Comer Construction’s experienced crew worked through deep mud and other environmental challenges to complete the scope of the project, which included:
- Establish and maintain necessary sediment and erosion control practices
- Clearing woody vegetation from existing embankment, excavation and onsite placement of approximately 28,000 CY of previously placed dredge material to the prescribed elevations and side slopes shown on plans from the existing DMP site
- Application of approximately 550 tons of lime
- Slip-lining existing 24” CMP pipe with CIPP
- Bituminous overlay of 2,450 LF existing asphalt trail and incidentals necessary to complete the scope of the project.
Stormwater Management in Maryland
The majority of the Mariner Point project included sediment and erosion control services. To do this effectively required our skilled site construction team to move material throughout the site and properly grade the land based on the requirements of the project. As a leading grading and excavating contractor in Maryland, Comer Construction has decades of experience preparing land for future development. This scope of services includes:
- Stormwater management
- Sediment controls
- Rough grading
- Mass excavation
- Fine grading
- Import and export fill dirt
- Land clearing, including tree removal
Since all of the work we do lies within the Chesapeake Bay watershed, stormwater management is critical. The Chesapeake Bay’s ecosystem impacts the quality of life for everyone in the area. Proper stormwater management, including sentiment and erosion control, protects our communities and businesses from erosion, floods, and storm surges. Comer Construction works under the guidelines of the Maryland Department of the Environment to ensure we have the proper stormwater management controls in place at each of our construction sites.
Underground Utility Services
In addition to the grading and excavation services, our team supported an underground utility project at Mariner Point Park in Joppa, Maryland. An existing 24” corrugated metal pipe (CMP) at the site was deteriorating. Rather than replacement, our team was able to run CIPP lining through the pipe. Slip-lining allows large diameter pipes to be restored without demolishing streets and other structures. When properly maintained, CIPP lining can last 50-60 years.
Comer Construction performs underground utility repairs, replacements, and new installations throughout Maryland.
Roadwork and Paving Services
We also resurfaced nearly 2,500 linear feet of asphalt trail at the park using a bituminous overlay. This coating is perfect for low volume surfaces.
Comer Construction is experienced in a wide range of roadwork and paving projects in the surrounding Greater Baltimore Region, including municipal roadways, county and state projects, airports, recreational parks and trails, residential communities and commercial lots.
About Comer Construction
Established in 1982, Comer Construction provides grading and excavation services throughout Maryland as part of our complete site construction packages. Projects like Mariner Point Park DMP Site Rehabilitation benefit from our up-to-date construction equipment and award-winning safety program.